Drawing of mill

Caerlee Mill

Description

Caerlee Mill was built by Alexander Brodie in 1788 and was the first water-powered textile mill to be built in the Borders and the first woolen mill of the industrial revolution in Scotland. The entire site was afforded Class B Listed Status albeit it was recognised that those having significance were the original Brodies Mill, Boiler House and Chimney together with entrance wall/gates. Ferguson Planning managed the Listed Building Consent (LBC) process. This took cognisance of Historic Scotland’s SHEP Test with regard to enabling the developer to demolish selected listed buildings, retain and upgrade buildings of value and funded via enabling development in the form of a neighbouring residential development.